Monday 19 August 2013

One month gone already!

Mum and Auntie Jean have been pestering me to keep this updated again, so I'm forcing myself to sit down and write another post. I have a week of events to catch up on, but it has been a quieter week really, so it shouldn't be too long!

Tuesday 13th August was the first day after my last update, and I had another chilled out morning after a long lie - no classes for the day. I feel like I keep repeating myself on this with respect to which classes I have but my mum keeps asking me which classes I have on such-and-such day and I don't think she's quite grasped that it's always the same yet; Dad correctly pointed out, "If she read the blog she'd know that!" After my quiet morning, a friend and I met for some lunch in Chinatown in the afternoon. I had sticky honey chicken, which was excellent and there was definitely a huge choice of dishes you wouldn't ordinarily see in any Chinese take-away back home - only solution will be to try them all out, I think! Before our food was served, we were presented with a little tea-pot filled with warm, weak tea, which was pretty strange and not particularly palatable, however I did drink a cup in pursuit of good manners. This plan was promptly wasted when the waiter practically ran over and filled my cup from the teapot once more - thanks for that, mate. Afterwards we bought some cakes from a Chinese bakery and ate them in the sunshine in Victoria Park - excellent afternoon, centred around good food.

Wednesday was another day of classes, however Competition Law was cut short half way through as the lecturer had a child minder issue; in truth it had been a long day and I was glad to get home sharp. I went into Coles on my walk home and did some more food shopping. I feel like I'm in the supermarket every other day or so, picking up odd items for the flat. Wednesday night was spent watching some episodes of Still Game after cooking dinner - I had totally forgotten just how funny a programme Still Game is since it had been so long since I watched it. I've stayed up late three nights this week watching it and I've seen nearly 4 full series worth of episodes!

Early in the week I also had a look around the University of Sydney Social Societies website to see what clubs and societies there were to join during my time here. I saw quite a few which caught my attention - mainly the Soccer Society (obviously!) as well as the Wakeboard and Water-Ski Society. The Soccer Society play every Tuesday and Friday and the lads I've been playing with the last few weeks play Monday and Thursdays, so it means I can play 3 or 4 times most weeks which is great in this weather! The Wakeboard and Water-Ski Society is something which I'm really keen to try once or twice before I go home but I think it's too expensive a hobby for me to be taking part on every trip to the water. Must get a job soon!

Thursday brought another long lie and a chilled out day before doing some shopping - again! - and then some uni work in the afternoon, followed by some TV at night. I caught an old episode of Australia's Got Talent, before the new series started on Sunday; it's a totally mad programme over here, Dawn French is on the judging panel and it's hilarious! Thursday night also brought about the FA Centenary match between England and Scotland at Wembley, but I decided not to stay up late to watch it since I had my 10am class at uni the next morning. Turned out that Scotland did alright and lost 3-2, but the biggest positive for me was that the United players did quite well. That reminds me, in order to try and keep any football chat in this blog to a minimum, I've started another United-specific blog to share my thoughts and views on the team this season and beyond. I'll post the web address at the bottom of this post if anyone fancies reading it. Friday brought my final day of classes for the week at uni and on Friday afternoon I met up with the guys in the Soccer Society for a game in the afternoon.

The plan on Saturday was to go to the Morrison once again so we could keep taking advantage of the $1 dollar oysters for the month of August and get some cheap drinks into the bargain. Afterwards, my plan was to meet up with the people from the Soccer Society once more to go to a different pub, not far from campus, in order to watch the first match of the Premier League season. However, I ended up going out with some mates to a few bars instead and arrived home at a pleasant 4am. We went to one place called the Scary Canary near Darling Harbour, which was a great little bar/club and I actually met a girl there who was in my school year at Beaconhurst - unbelievable! We had a great night and after a trip to McDonalds I arrived back in the flat to watch the United game; I managed to find an online stream showing the game, saw we were 2-0 up and decided that it was time for bed. Poor effort from myself, but it had been a long night, in fairness.

Sunday brought a bit of a hangover after our long night, and I spent the day watching TV - Australia's Got Talent and X-Factor were the highlights. I'd urge everyone to go onto YouTube and search for the video from Australia's Got Talent of the guy in the wheelchair who does acrobatics - and yes, you did read that correctly. It's amazing, go watch it! Today is now Monday and I've had another day of classes today, except Intellectual Property where we have a reading week this week. I came home after class, watched the new episode of Breaking Bad and made some dinner. It feels like this post has been a bit rushed and I've promised myself once again that I'm going to keep it updated more frequently to make it easier to remember all the things I've been doing. I'm not sure what my plans are for the rest of the week, but I also promise that I'll get a few photos for the next post too!

Today marks exactly one month to the date that I landed in Sydney, and I've had so many great experiences already - several months more of a similarly brilliant time would be great!

Here's the address for my United blog:

keeptheredflagflyinghigh.blogspot.com

Until next time,
Jamie

No comments:

Post a Comment