Tuesday 6 August 2013

This post is pretty much all about food

This is an attempt to keep this blog updated more regularly, so hopefully this post will be a little bit shorter!

Firstly, there are one or two things which I think I forgot to mention in my previous blog posts which slipped my mind at the time. The first thing was the car crash which myself and a few others witnessed about a week ago! It wasn't a bad one and nobody was injured or anything like that, but there was an incredible noise as a driver ploughed into the back of another car at a set of traffic lights. There was smashed glass from the lights all over the road and considerable damage to the two cars, but both drivers got out and were fine, thankfully. It certainly shook up our night out though! I'm sure there was something else too, but I can't remember what it was - maybe it'll come back to me...

Anyway, my last update was posted late on Friday night; Saturday the 3rd August began with an excellent long lie, followed by a shower and some breakfast. I had no plans for the day until the afternoon, so with the football league season kicking off in England in a few hours time, I spent the morning reading the sports sections of the British newspapers. It's a little bit odd getting all of my news online when I'm used to reading newspapers and watching TV back home. On that note, I heard a rumour from my sister that my mum is considering changing her daily newspaper from the Daily Mail to the Guardian, or something else; I would just like to take this opportunity to publicly declare myself very much in favour of the proposed move. Furthermore, it's probably not surprising how little news coverage the Australians are giving the current Ashes series, where England are running away with things a bit. After the recent Lions victory down here too, sport is not a popular topic of conversation in the pubs at the moment!

On Saturday afternoon I met up with some other International Students for an arranged game of football - it's alright to call it football in this context, since most of them were Europeans and knew what I was talking about! This was the first time that I had played football closer to the middle of the day and it was melting! It was quite a hot day, but I have to keep reminding myself that this is winter here. I've also noticed a distinct difference in the quality of the grass which we play on here, given that most of the time we're making do with a rugby or Aussie rules pitch to play football on. This makes the ball unpredictable as it bounces and skips across different lumps and bare patches; it's a real test of your ball control.

For Saturday night's entertainment we had arranged to meet up at the Morrison again - which is the place where we previously ate oysters after our day out at the zoo. For the month of August, every day between 6pm and 7pm they're having an "Oyster Hour" which means you can order the shelled delicacies for a mere dollar each - fantastic value considering they are usually sold for four times the price, in the very same restaurant, any other time of the year. The truly brilliant thing about going to the Morrison on a Saturday night however, is that they also have a drinks Happy "Hour", which isn't really an hour because it lasts from 5pm till 7pm - ideal! We headed along at 5pm sharp and had a few drinks before a bell was rung to mark the time at 6pm and you were able to go and order a platter of oysters; the place was packed and there was literally a queue of 10-15 people at the bar all ready to place their orders.

Afterwards we ended up going for some Chinese food since we were all starving - apparently even though they are expensive, oysters aren't the most filling of dinners. The menu was all in Chinese, since we decided on a restaurant near the Chinatown part of the city, which made choosing a little bit tricky. There certainly wasn't any chips and curry, or sweet and sour chicken to be spotted anywhere amongst the vast array of options. Eventually, I spotted chicken teriyaki with noodles, and feeling confident that I had made a selection which I would enjoy, I proceeded to order my food. It turned out to be really nice and even though you could probably describe the place as a takeaway, it was far better than any Chinese food we get at home. The night proceeded with a few more pubs before heading home for a quick - still a little intoxicated - FaceTime chat with those back home and off to bed.

Photo of the Chinese from Saturday.



I spent Sunday chilling out, catching up on the highlights of Saturday's football and doing some work which I had to prepare for my uni classes on Monday morning. It's not Monday night, and I had another 3 classes today which all went quite well - glad to say that at the beginning of week two I'm not finding any of them boring, which is good news. Lastly, I've also came to the conclusion tonight whilst cooking some broccoli to go with my dinner, that whilst I am a pretty decent cook (which will be proven by the following picture) I do miss my mum's cooking.

I ruined the broccoli - overcooked it.

Until next time,
Jamie

Firstly, the broccoli and a pretty good effort at a medium-rare steak. Before anyone cracks any "poor student" jokes, it was a cheap cut of meat, from the supermarket! Still, tasted fantastic though - compliments to the chef. Second photo is a quick snapshot of my uni timetable.





No comments:

Post a Comment